Re: current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

2008-04-04 13:03:02
On 2008-04-03 16:32:17 -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:
Before we can put the issue of AAAA implicit MX to bed, we need to get
an answer to the question of how much AAAA implicit MX is already being
used in the real world.

It's been postulated that the current deployment of this and its use is
low. However, RFC 3974 (SMTP Operational Experience in Mixed IPv4/v6
Environments), was published three years ago, and it mandates AAAA
implicit MX (as much as an informational document can mandate anything).

So I'm looking for information from people who are currently working in
the IPv6-based email world.

I am not, but I just looked (briefly) at the source code of postfix 2.5.1.

As far as I can see, it treats the "implicit MX" exactly the same as any
"explicit MX". There is no "if this was an implicit MX then ignore AAAA
records" special case.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | It took a genius to create [TeX],
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | and it takes a genius to maintain it.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |    -- David Kastrup in comp.text.tex