Re: current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

2008-04-06 01:50:23

Russ Allbery writes:
Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> writes:
IPv4 and IPv6 are very different and software NEEDS to change in order to even BEGIN to thinking about supporting it.

I have to pick this nit. The difficulty of supporting IPv6 in userspace programs tends to be exaggerated. At least on UNIX varients, programs that use the new getaddrinfo and getnameinfo interfaces can frequently be written to be entirely agnostic about which IP stacks they're using.

+1

We don't use those and still it was easy. The biggest chunks of code are the ones to parse IPv6 addresses (e.g. in the config files) and to print IPv6 addresses (e.g. for logging).

Arnt