Re: How does SMTP IPv4 and IPv6 work together

2008-04-06 22:16:38

At 02:51 -0400 on 04/06/2008, Hector Santos wrote about Re: How does SMTP IPv4 and IPv6 work together:

 > What justification do you offer to allow an IPv6 MTA to run without an
 > EXPLICATE MX record?

I have started in my proposed in multiple messages and I repeated it
above what I believe is the practical solution here and minimal text for
2821bis without going overboard in trying something we are not sure
about yet - for new systems using new technology that WANT to continue
to operate and communicate in a IPv4, the MUST|SHOULD use a MX and/or
implicit MX A record in order to be compatible with current expectations.

My error in not stating my real question but assuming the caveat by implication. To reword my query (*CAPS* are the omitted caveat):

What justification do you offer to allow an IPv6 MTA to run *VIA IPv6* without an EXPLICATE MX record? IOW: If it is dual stack and willing to use IPv4 then just allow the A-Fallback but why allow AAAA-Fallback to allow it to talk via IPv6? Note: I was assuming that an EXPLICATE MX would point not only to all the needed AAAA records but also the A records that would be used by a IPv4-Only Stack in Fallback mode (ie: Since the existence of the MX precludes A-Fallback , the A records MUST be referenced by the MX).

I guess I will need to be more explicate in the future and avoid unstated assumptions <g>.