Re: Queued Mail or Unreturnable Mail?

2008-05-02 22:29:05

At 18:00 -0400 on 04/30/2008, John Leslie wrote about Re: Queued Mail or Unreturnable Mail?:

We certainly could design a mechanism _better_ than MX records to
document intent relative to receiving email, especially DSNs. But unless
and until we do, folks are likely to use MX records as part of the
balancing act of guessing the probability of NDNs reaching a responsible
reader.

IMO: The publication of a MX is a statement to "Send *(_at_)FQDN Addressed Email HERE". Once an SMTP Server does so and delivers a NDN message addressed to *(_at_)FQDN to the MX, it has done its job and turned over Delivery Responsibility to a MX designated Server. The fact that the MX Server (or one that it forwards the NDN message to) then turns around and sends is to /dev/null is not my SMTP Server's Problem since, as noted, it did its job by delivering the message to the Domain Designated injection point and turning over further delivery processing to the Domain's Mail System.

Thus the existence of the MX places the responsibility of "reaching a responsible reader" on the MX not the Sending SMTP Server with NO GUESSING involved.