Specification "NOTE" paragraphs and normative language

2008-05-18 07:40:59

Go'day.

A private comment on the BATV specification raises a basic point about specification writing that I thought worth pursuing independently:

Some normative statements are placed in a paragraph labeled "NOTE:" so as to emphasize the requirement of the text. It has been suggested that that label actually implies less importance, not more. (In regular prose, a footnote, for example, is indeed secondary to the main text.)

I think it is worth distinguishing text that is secondary from normative text that is being emphasized. So I'm inclined to agree that "NOTE:" should be used for non-normative stuff.

That leaves the question of what convention is appropriate for marking emphasized normative text.

I don't have a ready suggestion, so I thought I'd ask you folk...?

d/

ps. Or let NOTE be used for emphasizing normative text, and have some other convention for secondary. Whatever works and is appealing to the community.
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking