Re: Specification "NOTE" paragraphs and normative language

2008-05-18 16:49:56

--On Sunday, 18 May, 2008 16:17 -0700 Dave Crocker
<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:
My concern is that, if we try to create differentiation,
using, e.g., "Note" and "Note well", "Normative note" and
"Informational note", or "Note-type-1" and "Note-type-2", the
careful readers won't be helped and the less-careful ones
won't notice and appreciate the difference.

Bottom line:  Folks prefer to have "NOTE" be orthogonal to the
question of normativeness.  It's role is simply for emphasis,
no matter whether for mere commentary or for formal
specification.

I'm fine with that, but thought it worth asking.

I agree that the question was worth raising.

   john