Re: Improved straw man for retry scenarios

2008-08-10 08:32:59

At 10:55 am -0400 10/8/2008, Hector Santos wrote:
That USER1 is not getting the mail, and you only trying to retry User2 completely fly in the face of common sense.

No, I am retrying user2 because user2 got a 4yz response and section 4.2.1 says under 4yz:
      Each reply
      in this category might have a different time value, but the SMTP
      client SHOULD try again.

Ok, lets suppose that on your 2nd try with USER2, that it now ACCEPTED.

Please explain why did user1 now lose out in getting the mail when it was a more valid 250 case and user2 was not?

That would be entirely up to the receiving server. I am certainly not going to assume that there are no cases where this would happen, that could result in lost mail.

Glenn.