Re: Improved straw man for retry scenarios

2008-08-10 00:24:54

Glenn Anderson wrote:

It says "message", singular. As far as I am concerned (and this is reflected in my MTA implementation) multiple RCPT TOs is multiple messages. The optimized case where multiple messages with identical bodies are sent over a single session with multiple RCPT TOs and a single copy of the message body should not be treated any differently from if all those messages were sent independently.

The standards certainly don't specify any different treatment for the optimized case.

Well, I guess that will depend on how a 26 year 821 document is read:

   2.  THE SMTP MODEL

   ..

   When the same message is sent to multiple recipients the SMTP
   encourages the transmission of only one copy of the data for
   all the recipients at the same destination host.

Or a 19 year old 1123 document

   5.3.1  SMTP Queueing Strategies

   When the same message is to be delivered to several users on
   the same host, only one copy of the message SHOULD be
   transmitted.  That is, the sender-SMTP should use the
   command sequence: RCPT, RCPT,... RCPT, DATA instead of the
   sequence: RCPT, DATA, RCPT, DATA,... RCPT, DATA.
   Implementation of this efficiency feature is strongly urged.

Both are repeated in the 8 years old 2821 document and one that still waiting for its bar mitzvah - 2821bis. :-)

Encourage? Efficiency? Urged? all code for optimization.

Anyway, I guess we will just have to agree we see things a little different but I think we have the same common end goal.

Thanks Glenn.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO