Re: 2821 5yz Typo - Client Retry Gaffe (fixed in 2821bis)

2008-08-10 00:40:53

Bill McQuillan wrote:

On Sat, 2008-08-09, Hector Santos wrote:

      NOTE: This is correct version from 2821bis, broken in 2821.

    When an SMTP server returns a temporary error status (4yz)
    code after the DATA command is completed with <CRLF>.<CRLF>,
    it MUST NOT make a subsequent attempt to deliver that message.
    The SMTP client retains responsibility for delivery of that
    message and may either return it to the user or requeue it for
    a subsequent attempt (see Section 4.5.4.1).

As I read this paragraph from 2821bis, the first sentence is a requirement
on the SERVER. That is, the server is not allowed to do anything further
with a message that it has returned a temporary error (4xy) to the CLIENT
message remains with the client.

More to the critical and fundamental point, it is signaling to the client NO DELIVERY is going to take place. Don't expect it. It isn't happening. As simple as that sounds, that very critical here. There is a real responsibility that shifts to the server when the server say "250 Message Accepted." Conversely, 4yz, 5yz does not shift the responsibility. It remains with the client.

The second sentence, however, says the the client may then retry if it
wants to.

Right.

There is no contradiction here! Only a clarification of the duties of
different ends of the dialog.

+1

But now read the same broken paragraph in 2821. Not 2821bis. How did you miss this in my post? :-)

I believe that might have been the source of the problem.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com