2821bis AUTH48 fix (?) (was: 2821 5yz Typo - Client Retry Gaffe (fixed in 2821bis))

2008-08-10 09:20:56

<ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

As with temporary error status codes, the SMTP client retains
responsibility for the message, but SHOULD not again attempt

I note in passing that "SHOULD not" is bad standards-speak and
needs to be corrected to "SHOULD NOT". Otherwise this is fine.

That's another call for "please fix the NOT":
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.smtp/7481/match=auth48>

I'm not sure how "fine" it is, Hector's and your (among others)
interpretations are clearly different.  Maybe it is irrelevant,
Hector's interpretation only misses an opportunity to "retry".

Where KISS (his 3*3 table) and "the mail must flow" principles
conflict I'd bet that Hector would prefer "the mail must flow",
but this could mean "change critical code at its core".

 Frank