Re: 2821bis AUTH48 fix (?) (was: 2821 5yz Typo - Client Retry Gaffe (fixed in 2821bis))

2008-08-10 13:03:56

ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
<ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm not sure how "fine" it is, Hector's and your (among others)
interpretations are clearly different.

Hector appears to be mostly out on his own here. AFAICT SM, Pete, all three
Johns, Glenn, Tony F, Robert, and myself are all in basic agreement as to what
constitutes correct behavior.

My friend, it is well recognized of how the "Follow the chieftain syndrome, the Consensus by Osmosis attitude has done such a tremendous job thus far. I will say, this approach is much better at getting what you want than your broken usage.

Nonetheless, I've provided a CLEAR more common than not case of mail delivery problem with this interpretation of yours. Glenn at least acknowledge it. You have not. Who's wrong?

I will stick by my technical opinion, you are all wrong with this erroneous interpretation. Glenn at the very least acknowledge the possible lost of mail.

On the contrary, Hector's interpretation causes lots of legitimate email to
fail to be delivered in the VERY common case of pipellning to a single
temporarily over quota recipient. This is hardly a minor matter.

PIPELINING is not a widely used or supported add-on as you think. Maybe thats the problem here. You can't get your command stacking, your delivery status and DSN to work right, so you need to change the meaning of the BASIC SMTP specs to convince yourself you are in compliance?

I don't believe Hector has said how his MTA behaves,

Our software is designed to match the specs, and in regard to 250, 4yz, and 5yz. DATA 5yz does not mean RETRY. You can't say

           "Yeah, But..."

You know Ned, you might think this is funny, but I am not even convinced your MTA behaves in this ill manner. :-) You probably need to check that out. If your system is going to retry a 450/5yz set of RCPT/DATA reply codes, then its a seriously broken system.

I just took a quick scan at Exim, and as far as I call tell in this spigetti code, it only retries with

             buffer[0] != '5'   <---- NOT 5yz

RCPT or DATA results.

Please double check your code and double check to see if not some dumb proprietary vendor software feature and/or operator PERL script feature only.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com