Re: retry question

2008-08-11 08:02:10
Tony Finch wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, SM wrote:
It gets more complicated as we take PIPELINING into account.

PIPELINING makes no difference to the meanings and effects of replies.
No, but it can mean you get situations you might otherwise not get:

C: RCPT TO: user1
C: RCPT TO: user2
C: DATA

S: 450 server too busy
S: 450 server too busy
S: 354 I'm slightly broken, but that's OK because RFC 2920 says how to handle me

C: CRLF "." CRLF
S: 550 no recipients

A non-pipelining client wouldn't have sent 'DATA'. A pipelining client using Hector's interpretation would immediately send a DSN to the sender reporting the error '550 no recipients' for the message.

--
Paul Smith

VPOP3 - POP3/SMTP/IMAP4/Webmail Email server for Windows