Re: 2821bis AUTH48 fix (?)

2008-08-11 21:41:59

Paul Smith wrote:

Hector Santos wrote:
For the record, I don't agree, not one bit with the idea

  Allow Retry logic for 4yz/5yz set of RCPT/DATA reply codes

IMTO, its wrong, it earth shattering and until people can show me otherwise (via software code, not subjective talk, not operator options), I doubt clients will actually honor it. i.e. Most will follow the 5yz specs and not retry.

My major concern because of this interpretation for 5yz is to begin seeing server "thinking" they can issue a 5yz with the intent to drive clients to perform a retry on any of their temporary rejected RCPT commands. I really hope not because the specs already provide for all this.

Can you explain how this would work?

Not sure how the question is being phrase? Are you questioning for it or against it? How it would work when a server does issue a 5zy with the *intent* to drive temporarily rejected RCPT?

Anyway, I think what I seeing is a lot of design implementation assumptions that is clearly not written in the specification. More about implementation and maybe its just a matter of common-mind 'social network' thinking a like using similar software, the behavior is thought to be one way over another.

To me, 5zy, as it is written in 4.2.5, means one thing as whole:

    - no deliver shall be expected by the sender and
      no further attempt is recommended without some
      out of scope user/human intervention.

I don't know how clear it can get. In short, there is no automated No Retry strategy recommended here and that overrides the "recipient list."

Just consider the idea that one believes that 250 message acceptance trumps the QUIT/RSET requirement for completing the transaction.

The spec says it doesn't not. Yet, you will find one argument for this 5yz, also saying the not receiving QUIT/RSET should not discard the message as it is written.

Go figure.

There is nothing wrong with the philosophy, but it does goes against the specification.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com