Re: RFC 5321bis / 2821ter

2009-01-26 13:35:55

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 01:46:06AM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:
Question: Is it time to formally deprecate 821 and, in
particular, the main feature that distinguishes it: the use of
HELO by SMTP clients?  We would still need to require that SMTP
servers accept it, but we would tell full-capability clients
(including the client side of relays and gateways) that HELO is
obsolete.  One corollary of this is that we'd be telling
low-capability clients, particularly those that are part of MUA
systems, that they should be talking to Submit ports, not SMTP
ones.

I'm ok with this. Simply because EHLO's requirements for a FQDN is
clearer than HELO.

--
Jeff Macdonald
jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com