Re: Last Call: draft-crocker-email-arch (Internet Mail Architecture) to Proposed Standard

2009-03-06 03:46:42

Hector Santos writes:
Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
Hector Santos writes:
Excuse me if I am not following you, but the compares are implementation specific. Like Finch pointed out, Sieve doesn't care.

Sieve suggests treating localparts case insensitively. Any user may follow the suggestion or explicitly choose something different from the default.

This is not specific to any implementation: Any conforming sieve processor behaves this way.

So what you are saying is that if we implement Sieve, to be Sieve compliant, our implementation must provide user preferences in regards to case?

Yes. And if the users copy the examples they'll find on the net, their scripts will be case-insensitive. To quote the last script snippet I saw:

if address :is :localpart "from" "zabbix" {
   fileinto "Zabbix";
}

Users who know how to (ha ha) can write case-sensitive code by adding :comparator "i;octet", so each script's case treatment is in principle implementation-specific.

All this doesn't contravene RFC 5321. But it does suggest that the overall email architecture doesn't treat localparts as completely opaque.

Arnt