Re: orcpt=x;y

2009-05-15 06:51:09

Alexey Melnikov writes:
Use <http://www.iana.org/assignments/dsn-types/dsn-types.xhtml>

Oh, now I see it. I looked in the "mail" section of http://www.iana.org/protocols/, not the "dsn" section.

I am still trying to figure out what kind of animal "mcimail" is and whether it needs to be added to this registry as well.

MCImail was a proprietary thing maybe 20 years ago. I don't know when it disappeared for good, but it's gone now so I think not adding it is fair, no matter what the purpose of the entry once was.

Ideally, the "xtext" portion of the original-recipient-address should contain, in encoded form, the same sequence of characters that the sender used to specify the recipient.
Hmm. I can see how you came to this conclusion. But I think in your example the original email address isn't valid and was fixed by the submission server. So I don't see any problem with fixing the corresponding ORCPT at the same time.

I don't see a problem with that either, but in my reading the RFC recommends that people don't, and I wonder why.

(I ran across this when someone's code forwarded without adding a domain, and much later, my code said, «uh, I have a lone localpart here and no scope for it».)

Arnt