Re: orcpt=x;y

2009-05-15 07:11:24

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Alexey Melnikov writes:

Use <http://www.iana.org/assignments/dsn-types/dsn-types.xhtml>

Oh, now I see it. I looked in the "mail" section of http://www.iana.org/protocols/, not the "dsn" section.

I am still trying to figure out what kind of animal "mcimail" is and whether it needs to be added to this registry as well.

MCImail was a proprietary thing maybe 20 years ago. I don't know when it disappeared for good, but it's gone now so I think not adding it is fair, no matter what the purpose of the entry once was.

I've asked my boss (who wrote MIXER RFCs) for clarifications.

Ideally, the "xtext" portion of the original-recipient-address should contain, in encoded form, the same sequence of characters that the sender used to specify the recipient.

Hmm. I can see how you came to this conclusion. But I think in your example the original email address isn't valid and was fixed by the submission server. So I don't see any problem with fixing the corresponding ORCPT at the same time.

I don't see a problem with that either, but in my reading the RFC recommends that people don't, and I wonder why.

(I ran across this when someone's code forwarded without adding a domain, and much later, my code said, «uh, I have a lone localpart here and no scope for it».)

Actually, I remembered that there is a rule in one of DSN documents saying that if you can't parse an ORCPT value, you should just leave it as is. So leaving "rfc822;fred" is Ok. Maybe it is even better, as ORCPT is supposed to preserve the original value as received by the server.