RE: Email System Model

2009-05-17 14:14:14

I am completely aware that if a model is too complicated for
understandability of the intended consuming audience it will be
completely ignored.  There are several standards, both on and off the
internet, where this has commonly occurred.  Perhaps the most well known
case is W3C's WAI2 standard, which produced much excessive whining
because of the complexity of practice required to achieve that standard.
Much of this whining was unfounded and did nothing, in this one case,
but extend the development process of the document.  The current ECMA
Script standard, however, is so complex that nobody seem to be capable
of adequately translating it to something that people new to the
language are capable of understanding.  This results in many books on
the subject that are wrong or miss necessary fundamentals.  As a result
people commonly ignore the recommended methods of writing the language
and do whatever the hell they want so long as it does not break
immediately in a single limited context, which will result in a break.

A standard must not, however, strive to limit the subject of its
description merely for the point of simplicity.  When limitation occurs
from such simplification innovation of otherwise unexplored approaches
is blocked even if the stated limitations were unintentional.  In my
opinion blocking innovation is supremely more harmful than a standard
which is ignored because that harm is immediately evident and not
commonly known opposed to harm from an ignored standard which is not
immediately evident but is well known and understood.

As a result I would rather the models be too complex for us mere mortals
to grasp so long as they are accurate and do not impose constraints that
not absolutely necessary.  I understand this is complicated work as such
constraints may appear as common usage and not viewed as a constraining
practice.

Thanks,
Austin Cheney