Re: Requesting comments on draft-cheney-safe-02.txt

2009-08-02 23:46:43

At 13:03 -0600 on 08/02/2009, Willie Gillespie wrote about Re: Requesting comments on draft-cheney-safe-02.txt:

I know of some large cable internet providers that block access to
"external" SMTP servers by default -- but allow unauthenticated access
to their SMTP server.  Will this be a problem?

I think that if you check again, they do not "block access to
'external' SMTP servers by default" but only block access to
'external' SMTP servers ON PORT25. IOW: If/When I access that external SMTP Server on Port587 (the RFC designated MSA/Mail-Submission-Agent Port that replaced use of Port25 a few years ago) or Port465 (the SMTP-over-SSL Port) they allow it. They only block/hijack Port25 Connections.

IOW: Have SAFE use a Non-Port25 Port and it will get through. The only problem with Ports 465 and 587 is that you either need to start a SSL session or do a Logon to access the server (if you follow the rules for those ports although you can have separate SAFE Server Farms which do not need to observe these rules so long as they do not act as MSA Servers).