Re: Requesting comments on draft-cheney-safe-02.txt

2009-08-01 09:52:19

Edward,

With your follow up here and with Peter, and reading more of your draft, I am not sure if you are, using the proverbial, "blowing against the wind."

If I understand the problem statement and your concerns, which is for the most part XHR (AJAX) and cross-domain WWW based communications, then I agree with you that there is a major problem here - a serious major problem over security and privacy concerns of users.

Lets start with the basic definition here:

  Web 1.0  - HTML only, No Javascripting.
  Web 2.0  - HTML only, Javascripting, Ajax
  Web 3.0  - Web 2.0 + Rich Graphics

The overall problem is that the industry is no longer concern with Web 1.0 compatibility. In fact, Javascript is being enforce at many web sites. They don't bother with allowing web 1.0 users (those who choose to turn off javascript in their browser).

The 2nd problem is that newer browsers are not even making it an user option to turn off javascript. For example, Google Chrome. This browser is a prime example of the problems you are concern about. Microsoft and others is following this lead.

The 3rd problem and alternative to the 2nd issue with users's turning off javascript and/or the browser doesn't support cross domain requests, are the client-installed pluggins are bypassing these restrictions, i.e., Flash and SilverLight. However, more recent versions are providing certificate secured solutions here for cross domain requests.

Overall, we are coming to a full circle in the UI - the user frontend is more client side driven with the browser and plug-ins. We have more persistent connections with these UIs.

I guess I am trying to see how your draft proposal using SMTP will help here and to solve what part of the above issue?

Take for example Peter's comment for an AJAX based suggestion box. I have an example here as a jQuery Plugin example:

  http://beta.winserver.com/public/test/MultiSuggestTest.wct

This does a server side call per keystroke (although my plugin is a
lot smarter using a cache and knowing not to call the server again
when the user hits backspace).

Peter's point is that the draft proposal would conflict with the
dynamics here.  The SMTP model would be too inefficient for the
high-throughput requirements of WEB 2.0+.

Now I saw your follow-up saying in principle the DOM events would be prohibited in your proposal.

Well, all bets are off. That is why I think you may be blowing against the wind here. WEB 2.0+ direction is too strong. The market is certainly caring less for Web 1.0 only support and would rather (because it is less costly) just spit out a message:

    Sorry, Javascript is enabled to use this site.

than spend the resources in making sure the web site works in HTML only mode.

Anyway, it sounds to me that this is more about having a secured,
certificate based "SAFE" proxy that people can use AJAX or
FLASH/SilverLight with. Flash and SilverLight already offer a new model based on signed certificates and encryption.

Today, if a user is concern about reaching a site with hidden cross domain operations, they can use the browser's No Scripting options like newer IE and FireFoxes with the most excellent NoScript plugin.

At the end of the day, either you allow the site to run as it was designed if you want to be part of it, or just ignore it if you are concern about its cross domain behavior. i.e, FACEBOOK - either you want to be part of it or you don't because it relies are strong interactive behavior and TONS of cross domain communications.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com

Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC wrote:

Hector,

I must have not communicated the problem and objective clearly.  The security
problem only exists in the realm of the WWW.  The solution to this problem, as
I propose it, only exists over SMTP.  The idea is to eventually abandon use of
all client-side scripting on WWW in favor of an alternate secure solution that
is only capable of existing over SMTP.

I am not actually proposing to mix or merge HTTP and SMTP transaction states.
I have not thought of such an idea, and so such might be possible but I have
given no thought to how that might work.  The closet to mixing protocols that I
have ever thought of is to supply a URI in a markup language over email that
may be either HTTP or SMTP as defined by that URI.

Thanks,
Austin