Re: Abort data transfer?

2009-10-20 11:38:38

David MacQuigg wrote:

Forget about DKIM.  What if there is some other reason to abort, like
the payload is too large?  We cannot just continue receiving data
forever.  Is there a "permissible" way within SMTP to abort during
data, or should I just ignore these ambiguous requirements, and
either: 1) Send a TCP reset, or 2) Let the transmitter hang.
I would just continue accepting the message, and throw away the data,
then give a 'message too big' error at the end.

I suppose you could try to be clever and do a grey-listing-style thing
of recording the IP address, sender & recipient, and dropping the
connection, then when the retry is done, reject the message before the
data is sent - but I wouldn't be too confident about the reliability of
that.

--
Paul Smith

VPOP3 - POP3/SMTP/IMAP4/Webmail Email server for Windows