Re: Abort data transfer?

2009-10-21 11:31:44

This doesn't deal with the case where the data never stops.

In all the years I've been running mail servers, I don't ever recall seeing a sender that never stopped. How often have you seen one?

Once. A windows box in the UAE, if I remember correctly. It connected, sent MAIL FROM and RCP TO, got a 50x, disconnected, and tried again five minutes later. When I noticed it, it had been doing so for as long as I had logs, probably 99 weeks.

No, I meant where the data in a single DATA connection never stops, since that is the alleged problem that this argument is about.

If, as I suspect, it has never happened in the entire history of the Internet, why in the world is anyone wasting time worrying about it? The scenario you describe is rare enough and has little enough impact that you could deal with it by hand.

Regards,