Re: Returning Details about Spam Evaluation when Rejecting Spam

2009-11-27 17:46:03

--On Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:20 PM +0100 Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote:

Nate Leon writes:
I agree with Hector - the less detail the better when
communicating  back to spammers.

Oh...?

People used to say that years ago. But now, we've had 15 years
experience with spammer. Mine is that spammers basically don't
bother to learn. They learn to pick up email addresses in
different ways, but other than that, no, basically not. So
based on my experience i'd say that less detail is _exactly_
as good or bad as more detail when talking to spammer. More
detail is better when talking to some non-spammers.

Let me say this a little differently. The argument against supplying the spammers with information parallels the old security argument against revealing whether telling which of the user name or password caused an authenticate failure. The validity of that argument ultimately depends on whether having the additional information will make the attacker (or spammer) smarter about organizing the next attack. In the case of credentials and passwords, the answer is clearly "yes" -- it is easier to attack the password if you know that the user name, at least, as valid.

But, in the case of email, the spammers know that the addresses they obtain are valid, or they don't care. They (or at least the high-volume professionals among them) are perfectly capable of running Spamassassin (or equivalent), understand how the detection heuristics work, and take advantage of both to the extent that they care. The odds of a particular message being sent a second time regardless of why it is rejected the first time is low, especially in a botnet environment, which is, by the way, the reason why soft-timeout delay strategies work so well (even though I continue to hate them).

So it seems to me to be of no value at all to avoid supplying useful information to a legitimate user whose message might accidentally have been caught in a spam trap because of some theory that doing so will help the spammer.

Of course, if you know for certain that the sender is a spammer, then returning "5yz FOAD" may be an appropriate response without any additional information. But the reason for that is to avoid consuming resources, not because the additional information would somehow be helpful.

   john