RE: Changing RFC 5322 guidance about crlf.crlf response delay

2010-08-11 12:40:29

    "Long delays after the <CRLF>.<CRLF> is received can
    result in timeouts and duplicate messages.  Deferring
    detailed message analysis until after the SMTP
    connection has closed can result in non-delivery
    notifications, possibly sent to incorrect addresses.  A
    receiver-SMTP MUST carefully balance these two
    considerations, i.e., the time required to respond to
    the final <CRLF>.<CRLF> end of data indicator and the
    desirable goal of rejecting undeliverable or
    unacceptable messages at SMTP time."

I like this text.  I think it reflects current operational realities quite
nicely.

I agree. The only suggestion I have is that an informational referenece to
Craig Partridge's oringal document on the timeout issue might be helpful to
include after the first sentence. There's no reason to have a lengthy
discussion here of why timeouts can lead to duplicates, but a reference to such
a discussion makes sense IMO.

                                Ned