Re: Processing after the end of DATA

2010-08-11 17:48:12

Tony Finch wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Hector Santos wrote:
Tony Finch wrote:
A "smart host" is a general purpose outgoing SMTP relay for use by stub or
queueless SMTP clients.
+1, i.e, like a list server.

No, a list server is something else.

Sorry I cut out your text. I was referring to what clients can connect to, including a List Server SMTP client, if any.

Our list server transport method is designed so it can either be set to create a mail spool of emails at the location eyeballed by our SMTP router or it can be set to a direct Mail Host domain/ip, "Smart Host" or otherwise - a direct connection to an SMTP receiver.

One point that hasn't been mentioned, which may be important here, in our implementation, all authenticated or authorized clients MAY get a complete pass any SMTP level filtering/processing.

So the DATA Processing delays do not play a major way in Port 587 submissions or POST 25 AUTH, IP, POPB4SMTP authentication transactions.

Going to a SMART HOST generally implies some sort of authentication or pre-arranged authorization - otherwise it just an open relay.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com