Re: Processing after the end of DATA

2010-08-11 09:51:24

Dave CROCKER wrote:

On 8/11/2010 5:41 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
Again you are talking about outgoing email. Dave's question is about what you do with incoming email: How much do you do before replying to <CRLF>.<CRLF>?

Arnt is correct that one of the actions that might be taken before responding to
the end of DATA is a delivery, possibly thereby involving an SMTP Sender
activity.

But as Tony notes, the specific nature of the action after <CRLF>.<CRLF>
wasn't my question. My question was solely about SMTP Receiver delay in making the response... for whatever reason -- and note that spam filtering was actually the trigger condition for the question, not message relaying. But again, the details weren't part of the question.

+1. If we are looking for insights for "adjusted" recommendations, this would be a good time as there is no doubt the direction and growth of DATA level processing is permanent now. The hardware allows for these new framework feasible in a scaled up manner and there is no way we can tell people "don't do that" and go back to old school methods of having post-SMTP (post acceptance) only data processing.

Probably a BCP or a new I-D for SMTP DATA Processing Filtering Guidelines would be very welcome and useful.

I would not mind drafting it if people think it is a good idea.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com