Re: Processing after the end of DATA

2010-08-11 07:59:23

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
On 08/11/2010 12:48 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
Dave and I are talking about server side processing. You seem to be
talking about client retry logic.

The problems never change, only the terminology ;)

My rendering of the same: Back then, sensible admins set up outbound queues
everywhere, but had most hosts punt to a special relay, so that long-queued
mail is kept in one place. Good practice now too. I wouldn't call that a
submission server, but what is the proper name for it?

Again you are talking about outgoing email. Dave's question is about what
you do with incoming email: How much do you do before replying to
<CRLF>.<CRLF>?

A "smart host" is a general purpose outgoing SMTP relay for use by stub or
queueless SMTP clients.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
DOGGER: VARIABLE 3 OR 4, BECOMING CYCLONIC 5 OR 6. SLIGHT OR MODERATE. RAIN OR