Re: Processing after the end of DATA

2010-08-11 06:08:18

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, John C Klensin wrote:
--On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 09:48 -0700 Dave CROCKER
<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

As I recall, delivermail didn't do queuing.  So, yes, the
delivery attempt was immediate.

Sendmail behaved the same way, for a first attempt, and did
queuing only if that   attempt failed.

MMDF always did queuing first, spawning a delivery attempt
afterward. (Submission and delivery were independent Unix
processes.)

And IIR, several of the small computer-based things, including
PC/TCP, would make a direct attempt to deliver and send mail to
what we would now call a submission server only if that single
direct delivery attempt failed.

Dave and I are talking about server side processing. You seem to be
talking about client retry logic.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA: WESTERLY OR NORTHWESTERLY, 4 OR 5 INCREASING 5 OR 6, OCCASIONALLY 7