Re: The purpose of QUIT

2011-08-28 18:34:54

At 15:59 -0400 on 08/28/2011, Hector Santos wrote about The purpose of QUIT:

In the 1982, but still currently the official SMTP standard, STD10 (RFC821) has QUIT as a SHOULD. In the 2000 document RFC2821 and the newer (2009) RFC5321, it was made into a MUST.

I would like to hear what was the (DRUMS) thinking towards making it a MUST.

[snip]

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com

While I do not know DRUMS reason, I can think of one reason to require the QUIT. It signals that the client is done and has received all of its mail and has logged all of them. If I remember correctly the deletes of mail sent from the server to the client un response to the client's DEL commands is performed when the QUIT is received by the Server not as each DEL is received. If the connection drops before that, the deletes will not occur and the messages will be offered again at the next connection.