Re: Recipient is offline

2011-09-01 21:17:53

John C Klensin wrote:
--On Friday, September 02, 2011 09:32 +1000 Mark Andrews
<marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> wrote:

However, if a mail server is online for only a few hours a
day, then I'd  seriously suggest getting a backup mail server
to accept messages during  the downtime (or putting the main
mail server somewhere else with a  better connection), unless
you don't really care about getting mail...
And poll when coming online using TURN after authenticating.

Also if you do this you should ensure that your backup MX can
reject non valid addresses or you will generate a lot of
backscatter. There are a number of different techniques that
can be used to do this.

That is one of several reasons why TURN was deprecated years ago.

:-(

John, the natives are coming back! Just in the last 2-3 weeks, at least 5-6 people have setup SMTP for non 24x7 operations. Asking the same related questions. The economy has forced many to set up SOHO shops and are using the new powerful IPTV high speeds setups.

Just had one today where I think he will need us to be his PORT 587 SMART HOST to get around PORT 25 outbound restrictions. We allow ETRN here and for the operator to use in local mode to start sending specific queues.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com