Re: Recipient is offline

2011-09-02 10:58:28

John C Klensin <john+smtp(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> wrote:
Mark Andrews <marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> wrote:

TURN is useful if the is not a direct incoming path. e.g. Running
multiple MTA's behind a firewall/nat that blocks incoming connections.
ETRN is useful if the is a direct incoming path.

Mark, I said "it was deprecated".  I didn't say that there were
not arguments for keeping it for special circumstances, nor that
there were not other tradeoffs.  The WG considered those issues,
deprecated it, and introduced ETRN to deal with the pieces of
the problem that affected the public Internet.

There's also ODMR / ATRN - RFC 2645.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
Northwest FitzRoy, Sole: Southwesterly 4 or 5, increasing 5 to 7, veering