RE: Recipient is offline

2011-09-02 14:33:57

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John
Levine
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 10:15 AM
To: ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Cc: dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at
Subject: Re: Recipient is offline

Twenty years ago, there were still a lot of part time connections.
There's nothing magic about SMTP as a way to get mail from one host to
another, and we had a variety of hacks to get mail to them, from TURN
to uucp to, in extreme cases, magtapes sent by mail.  All the hacks
are still available for people who need them.  This isn't an SMTP
problem.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but UUCP is still available as an
option, at least for FreeBSD, and probably works just fine.  Expect funny looks
when you tell people you're using it, though...