RE: We need an IETF BCP for GREY LISTING

2011-10-11 13:39:03

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Richard
Kulawiec
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:20 AM
To: ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: We need an IETF BCP for GREY LISTING

On the other hand, it's not clear to me what benefit we could achieve
by doing so.  That is, I'm not sure I see many instances of greylisting
implementations behaving badly -- thus, potentially benefitting from
a document that would give some guidance.  I think that most of the ones
I've observed are doing a reasonable (if, perhaps, sometimes annoying
or inconvenient) job of deferring mail traffic for a sensible length
of time.  Are others' logs reflecting a different picture?

No evidence here of a new or increasing problem, and I'm not convinced it's
something that requires a change or extension to the protocol in any case.

A BCP that merely documents what greylisting is, how to use it, why people like
it, some of the pitfalls, etc., might not be a bad idea though.