Re: V.A. Shiva Ayyadurai: Inventor of e-mail honored by Smithsonian

2012-02-28 13:02:09

On 2/28/2012 8:21 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
In short, this is an implementation quality issue. The MUA I'm using to
enter this messages handles all of this correctly.

I'll make clear what I implied. I think this is deeper than an implementation quality issue.

We do not have a "protocol" specification for MUA-MUA (nevermind MUA/MSA, etc.) behavior involving BCC.

More generally, we do not have a clear model and technical details for group communication with email.

We have tidbits of mechanism. They variously work and don't. But we haven't defined a model and its details to form a solid, stable technical protocol basis for extended, group exchanges.

Which makes the relatively high level of utility we get out of the current system for such communication modes pretty impressive...

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking