Re: "proper" handling of BCC

2012-04-17 10:52:32

That strikes me as a really unfortunate idea.  Submission servers know all
about envelopes and message headers.  In most cases, they don't know anything
about the body of the message beyond what they can intuit from the MIME
headers.

As noted, this is a scenario that has been supported by some posting MSAs, like
sendmail and mmdf, going back a very long time.  My own view is that this is,
nonetheless, an MUA function.  That is, for this feature, sendmail and mmdf
were/are acting as MUAs to prepare the message for formal posting, and then
they
turn into MSAs.

In case it wasn't clear, the MSA making the envelope from the headers
is reasonable, since you can write down a fairly simple rule for how
it works. The MUA is still a better place to do it since it's more
likely to know what the user wanted, and the simple rule becomes much
more complex in corner cases like multiple From: addresses and
Resent-x headers.

Having the MSA add comments into the body is much less so.

R's,
John