Re: "proper" handling of BCC

2012-05-23 12:33:32

Hector,

Three very quick observations about this:

(1) Doesn't work end-to-end.  If any relaying is involved, the
odds that the relay knows enough about the delivery server to
reliably make this commitment on its behalf are not high.

(2) For a number of technical reasons, I'd recommend thinking
about parameters or a separate command rather than changing the
"TO" argument to something else.  If nothing else, the extension
model has been extensively tested for parameters and new
commands and is basically fail-safe.  I don't have any reason to
believe that one could change "TO:" or "FROM:" in the RCPT or
MAIL commands without encountering new and quite interesting
bugs in one system or another.

(3) IMO, we need to keep in mind that every extension has costs.
While Robert has explained what he is trying to do, no one has
offered a persuasive argument that it is important enough to
justify trying to change huge numbers of MUAs and MTAs to make a
heuristic that would work slightly better in some cases.   In
particular, a command variation would not help the recipient
determine the difference between "no intentional BCC" and
"sender doesn't support this mechanism for telling the recipient
that a BCC is present".  One could improve that situation by
having the sender use a MAIL parameter with semantics of "if
there are BCCs among the recipients, I promise to tell you" as
well as the RCPT parameter (or other option) but it is
questionable whether even that would make this valuable enough
to be worth the effort.

best,
   john

--On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:06 -0400 Hector Santos