Re: [ietf-smtp] You can't hurt a computer's feelings

2013-03-03 18:44:52
At 11:22 AM -0500 3/3/13, John R Levine wrote:

That matches my experience. Whatever problem might once have been addressed by limiting the number of connections per source, it doesn't exist any more.

I misstated the EIMS restrictions in my original message. When I checked the documentation, it turns out that EIMS does not enforce restrictions on number of connections from the same source. Instead, EIMS has a three-level budget: total number of incoming connections; number reserved for hosts in the OK state (having passed graylisting); and number reserved for whitelisted hosts. I apologize for mischaracterizing the restrictions (I blame faulty recollection and being too lazy to check before writing).

My server hits its overall limit of 60 all the time when it's getting a lot of spam, but it's never more than a handful of those 60 from a single IP.

When its getting a lot of spam, does it crowd out legitimate email? That's the intent of the EIMS restrictions -- to ensure that some connections remain available for hosts that have a higher liklihood of being legitimate.

 Here's the answer I got: