Re: [ietf-smtp] You can't hurt a computer's feelings

2013-03-03 19:01:12
My server hits its overall limit of 60 all the time when it's getting a lot of spam, but it's never more than a handful of those 60 from a single IP.

When its getting a lot of spam, does it crowd out legitimate email? That's the intent of the EIMS restrictions -- to ensure that some connections remain available for hosts that have a higher liklihood of being legitimate.

Sometimes, but per-IP limits would be useless since the spam comes from IPs all over the place. I haven't adjusted the limit in a long time, despite switching to a faster server, so if it mattered I could probably increase it to 100. But in my application, it doesn't.

I collect most of the spam for analysis, which makes my tradeoffs somewhat different from other people's.

Regards,