Re: [ietf-smtp] You can't hurt a computer's feelings

2013-03-03 20:35:38
At 8:00 PM -0500 3/3/13, John R Levine wrote:

When its getting a lot of spam, does it crowd out legitimate email? That's the intent of the EIMS restrictions -- to ensure that some connections remain available for hosts that have a higher liklihood of being legitimate.

Sometimes, but per-IP limits would be useless since the spam comes from IPs all over the place.

Right, as I said in my correction, the EIMS limits are not per-IP but rather three levels of connection budget: maximum total inbound SMTP connections; connections from hosts in the OK state (passed graylisting); connections from whitelisted hosts. So, for example, if you have these set to, say, 20/4/2, then of the 20 total allowed inbound connections, four are always available for OK hosts, two connections remain always available for whitelisted hosts, and up to 16 can be consumed by hosts that you haven't classified.

--
Randall Gellens