Re: [ietf-smtp] Submission DATA reply to indicate auto-save

2013-04-10 20:00:14

--On Thursday, April 11, 2013 01:12 +0100 Tony Finch
<dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at> wrote:

The proper ESMTP style for this would be

(1) an EHLO keyword to say the server supports the feature
(2) a MAIL parameter for the client to enable the feature

Do you need more signalling than that? I think adding syntax
to the message body reply would be a bad idea, since that is
usually used to feed back trace info (queue ID). Perhaps you
could have a new command to be used (pipelined) after the body
to retrieve the IMAP status. Would that make the MAIL
parameter redundant?

Yes.  But it seems to me that the problem Timo is trying to
solve involves submission via Gmail and not being able to turn
off its saving a copy of the sent message.   It seems to me that
problem doesn't involve the IMAP server at all except insofar as
the sending client chooses to send the SMTP message and then use
IMAP APPEND or equivalent to put a copy somewhere.

It seems to me that problem is easily solved using the
well-known maxim:

        Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do xyz."
        Doctor:  Have you considered not doing xyz?"

Option 1: Persuade the Gmail folks to allow a profile
        flag that would _not_ save everything to the /Sent
        folder but would allow explicit copies to it.

Option 2: Fix the relevant client to support a
        per-submission-server flag that determines whether or
        not to append copies of outgoing messages to some
        selected folder.

However easy or difficult those options might be, they have the
advantage of requiring no protocol changes and hence no updating
of clients and servers to handle a new dialogue and options.
FWIW, I note that Mulberry, which is getting long in the tooth
in other respects, has been easily configured to support Option
2 for as long as I can remember.

Or am I missing something here?