Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-06-22 00:42:33
At 12:58 21-06-2013, John C Klensin wrote:
That change, effectively removing the requirement for at least
two components in the domain-part, is consistent with the text
in Section 2.5.5 of 5321 (and the very similar text in the
section of the same number in 2821) but does not appear in any
of my notes about intentional changes between 2821 and 5321
(I've just done a quick check and might have missed something),
including being absent from the change log in the last I-D
version of 5321, so I'm not sure where it came from.    I do
remember some quite explicit discussions during both the 2821
and 5321 work about eliminating the prohibition on trailing
periods in mailbox names.  That change would have both better

There was a controversial discussion about TLD domain-parts. If I recall correctly the middle ground was to remove protocol restrictions, if any, on dotless domains. My understanding is that it does not mean that email will work dotless domains. I would read the SSAC report from a non-technical perspective. My guess that it was written that way to avoid the predictability problem.

5321, we know that hasn't happened in practice and that some
MUAs and MTAs will refuse to resolve single-component domain
names or will, despite years or prohibitions, try to treat them
as aliases.  So there is a predictability problem at best and
might well be some other issues.

Yes.

Regards,
-sm