Re: [ietf-smtp] Multicast MTAs, was Dotless domains and email

2013-07-08 14:46:55
At 20:56 -0400 on 07/07/2013, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote about Re: [ietf-smtp] Multicast MTAs, was Dotless domains and ema:

2) The ever-dreaded "local alias" problem.  Until you've gone thorugh *every*
corporate and organization network and fixed every single user's address
book so it doesn't say 'fred@locus' but upgrade it to 'fred(_at_)locus(_dot_)example(_dot_)com',
and then fix their MUA to prevent the user from savin a local alias again,
you won't be able to really reliably use '@locus' as a dotless destination.

I see two separate but related issues here.

Will the MUA append domain to any address which is Dotless (ie: User@Host) and/or one that is User Only (ie:@-Less)? So long as it does there is no need to force FQDN addresses since the FQDN address will be created by the MUA before it hands the message off to the MSA Server.

The second issue is that we are talking about the address supplied to the MUA needing to be compliant with the RFC821/2821/5821 rules when this address is not necessarily what will be submitted to the MSA due to the domain appending code referenced above. IOW: If I create a message addressed to fred@locus is the address that is supplied to the MSA (and in the TO Header) fred@locus or fred(_at_)locus(_dot_)example(_dot_)com?