Re: [ietf-smtp] Multicast MTAs, was Dotless domains and email

2013-07-08 03:24:41
On Mon 08/Jul/2013 00:17:56 +0200 Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:

As for mDNS, what's the trouble there?  It should work just fine.
Won't be very secure, of course, but anyone in the local namespace
should be able to set up MX and address records to send mail wherever
they'd like, at whatever priority.  It can be, at least in theory,
the apex or any name underneath, and if you have a resolver that
knows to match "local" to mDNS, i.e. in practice all of them, you
just replace managing zone files with responding to the right
multicast messages, basically.  For convenience, you put "local" in
the domain search list, and so it goes.  (On OS X, this is actually
implemented rather better than glibc with the nss module, since the
same process is responsible for both DNS and mDNS, so searching
actually works.)

I don't think everything can be solved by just tinkering with resolvers.

Let me try an example:  Suppose I send to Sabahattin@local --presumably
because I can see you, or equivalent local evidence.  Every local box
having an MTA should reply to my query for a local MX.  An MTA with a
hight priority MX will rply "550 user not local" to my RCPT.  In that
case, a unicast relay must give up, while a multicast MTA had better
behave differently, and possibly keep on querying as it tries each MX in
turn, because that's what the nature of mDNS looks like.

Yes, that would require lots of little changes.  The question is if it
can entice people to upgrade their mail software at the same pace that
they upgrade their browsers and web servers.