Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-06 22:46:39
Mark Andrews <marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> writes:

Which just shows 19 tld administrators that don't have clue.  One can
add MX records at any node in the DNS inluding at the root.  That
doesn't mean that it is sensible to add them or that they will work
reliably.

That they've added an MX rcord doesn't mean that they don't understand the
problems, or that they even expect to receive mail there.  It's the kind
of thing that, were I in the position to do, I probably would do just for
the hell of it, and because it's a sort of SMTP party trick.

It doesn't hurt anything to have the MX record.  Given how mail is
processed, it will mostly just be ignored.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>