Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-08 13:31:54

--On Sunday, July 07, 2013 19:59 -0700 Russ Allbery
<rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu> wrote:

I think the debate is just because it's a weird corner case,
and this group isn't particularly active with important
business these days but is still full of people who like
talking about the details of mail implementation, particularly
weird corner cases.  In other words, it's more general
entertainment than anything that has much practical impact on
the day-to-day functioning of Internet mail.

Russ,

I think this is at least partially true.  The other part is that
a fairly large number of entities are spending a very large
amount of money trying to obtain new gTLDs.  Many of those
entities have ideas and consequent expectations about how usable
those TLD are going to be and for what.  If the reality doesn't
match those expectations,  I think it is reasonable to assume
that there is likely to be a good deal of recrimination and
finger-pointing.  That might be followed up by litigation and
other sorts of unpleasantness.

That unpleasantness might be directed elsewhere, or at least
easier to take, it we are all on the same page about what the
issues are and why.  It might be largely avoided if ICANN (or
others) can successfully get people to understand what to expect
before significant resources are committed to ideas that won't
work well.  It might be too late for that already, but it is
still possible to try.

best,