Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-08 13:36:52
John C Klensin <john+smtp(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:

I think this is at least partially true.  The other part is that a
fairly large number of entities are spending a very large amount of
money trying to obtain new gTLDs.  Many of those entities have ideas and
consequent expectations about how usable those TLD are going to be and
for what.  If the reality doesn't match those expectations, I think it
is reasonable to assume that there is likely to be a good deal of
recrimination and finger-pointing.  That might be followed up by
litigation and other sorts of unpleasantness.

Good point.

I try to avoid thinking about the new gTLDs as much as possible, since
they just make me disgusted and nauseated.  So I missed that this means a
bunch of new top-level domains run by people who may not realize what
works and what doesn't work with such domains.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>