Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-08 18:17:24

Dave Crocker was just wondering if anyone knew what was the standards
basis for ICANN's statement (since RFC 5321 allows them).

In other words, it appears ICANN is saying what we'd want them to say.

Not really.

In terms of the conclusion, "dotless domains won't work over the open Internet", yes that's correct.

In terms of the technical explanation that is provided, they are wrong. They attribute it to SMTP. Whether they mean the specific protocol or the collection of email specifications, they are wrong.

And the impression I get is that ICANN is attempting to fight a political battle on technical grounds? If that's the case, then making incorrect or indefensible technical statements is going to sink them.

<csg>