Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and new gTLDs

2013-07-08 17:52:04

On Jul 8, 2013, at 3:43 PM, Mark Andrews <marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> wrote:

Just because it worked for you, it doesn't mean it will work for everyone.
Working or not depends on the clients search list and hostnames that resolve
using that search list.

That it didn't work (at all) for 14 out of 19 TLDs who have explicitly
published an MX record is relevant data. That it works just fine (with a
non-broken SMTP client) for the other five is somewhat interesting too (.ai was
the only one I knew about before I checked).

There are five entities who are running apparently working mailservers at the
TLD level; they seem likely to have more experience with, and actual data
about, this issue than anyone here.

This is not a fixable problem.  It can NEVER be made to work reliable as
people want to be able to use short names and just because you have several
thousand dollars to buy a TLD it doesn't give you the right to steal the
short name from others.

Cheers,
  Steve