Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and new gTLDs

2013-07-08 20:06:56
I suspect you don't have hosts on your LAN (or in whatever domain your DHCP
server sets as
your resolver default) called ac and dk.

Well, of course not. All *my* hosts have fully qualified hostnames. :)

So do mine, but since my DHCP setup installs a default domain
(.iecc.com on my server, and .lan on my home mostly-NAT LAN), I can
type http://router/ on this PC and it will find the router whose name
is router.lan.*

Failures and confusions with dotless domains are more likely to be due
to helpful completions by DNS libraries that have been around for 30
years as to warts of MUAs or MTAs.

So although Dave is right that SAC 053 screwed up the discussion of
SMTP, there are worse problems that I think it got right.

R's,
John

* - I have my own DNS cache with a highly customized configuration.
Imagine that I'm a tiny corporate LAN.