Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-11 00:33:43
Hi Dave,
At 13:36 10-07-2013, Dave Crocker wrote:
The IAB just issued a 'statement' on the topic:"

   IAB Statement: Dotless Domains Considered Harmful
http://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2013-2/iab-statement-dotless-domains-considered-harmful/

It only discusses DNS-related standards that make dotless domains problematic.

It might help the case against dotless domains to also record the email-related implementation problems that have been cited on this thread.

Thanks for the heads-up. In my opinion, one of the problems with the "statement" is that it is, as you mentioned above, only a discussion about the DNS-related standards. I don't know whether the statement considered the recommendations in SSAC report SAC053. One of the arguments made in favor dotless domains is that it "provides potential innovations to the domain name industry and new gTLD applicants". All this is driven by the "web" at the expense of other application protocols. I guess that it is worth a try to record the email-related implementation problems.

Regards,
-sm